The other 99% of the time, he agrees with me! It's eerie but while he was out for six days, I was still following the news and happenings. When he got back on his show from his golf vacation yesterday, we were listening in the car and doggone if he didn't validate everything I had thought about while he was gone!
If I didn't know any better, I could swear he has a microphone in here taking in everything I said and then formulating his own opinions.
The biggest was all the overhype on Hurricane Irene. All throughout the buildup to that event, I was thinking how much overkill there was, and I was right. The media agenda was to promote it as another Katrina and thus to show how much in charge their guy was. And, lo and behold, whoop, there it is!
Pat and I left Thursday about 1300 (1 pm, civilians) for a two-day drive to see her sister and nephew in NC. So we had a lot of time on the Sirius satellite radio, but during Rush's hours, we were tuned to Mark Davis as the substitute host. Not the same, but better than most of the things we could have heard and it kept us up to date on what was happening in the world. Some of the local stations left a lot to be desired on the top and bottom of the hour news breaks but once we heard a couple parodies you get used to on Rush's 24/7 version on the internet.
We drove over 900+ miles each way, going through a lot of East Texas, then Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. The only evidence we saw of shovel-ready infrastructure projects was a ten-mile stretch of Mississippi where one whole side of Interstate 20 was torn up to be replaced, and a couple of other stretches no more than five miles together in Mississippi where some lanes were closed. But, there were great big signs all along those areas ballyhooing how the funds for the projects came from the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act, aka Porkulus or Stimulus funds. But that was it. You would think in almost 2,000 miles of travel, there would have been more but some of it had to stick in the pockets of union thugs to be donated to the Democrat Party.
If you are ever in Monroe, Louisiana and need to find a place to stay, by all means choose the Comfort Suites hotel there. We stayed there going up and it was nice. They even gave us a retired military discount which was better than any other discounts they could offer, including AARP or Amac. But, when we got to NC and started unpacking our stuff, I discovered that I was missing the charging cord for my Motorola XOOM android tablet. The only place it could be was at the Comfort Suites, so we called them. By then it was Friday night and Housekeeping was gone so I called back on Saturday. Nothing turned up but they promised to call if they found it. Figuring that was a goner, I went with nephew Mike to Best Buy and got a replacement. On the way back, we had reservations at the VOQ at Barksdale AFB near Shreveport, but decided to stop at Monroe to check on the cord, just in case. It was just about sundown and we were tired, so we called the VOQ at Barksdale and cancelled that reservation, then got a room. Still no cord. As Pat was searching in her wallet and purse for her ID card, she discovered it missing. The desk clerk looked up quickly as we gave her our name and said "I have it here. I was just going to call you!" It seems Beatrice made a copy of the ID on Thursday when we were there and forgot to give it back so it was her fault, she said. Talk about lucky! Then, yesterday morning as I came down for breakfast, I stopped by the front desk one more time and a lady from housekeeping asked what I lost, then promptly went in the back and came out with the missing cord, bagged and tagged with the room number! Twice as lucky! Thanks, Shirley and Beatrice, for making our stay great!
No comments:
Post a Comment